[wp-hackers] Permalink Structure - Performance vs. SEO

Alexander Concha alex at buayacorp.com
Tue Jun 14 15:29:52 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Mike Schinkel
<mikeschinkel at newclarity.net> wrote:
> On Jun 14, 2011, at 10:14 AM, Alexander Concha wrote:
>> In my opinion, the presence of an ID does not matter anymore when
>> speaking of human friendliness.
>> I do not have any statistics, but I think there are many more users
>> using search engines to find (again) some specific content than people
>> who "like" to remember urls to type them directly.
>
> There's more to user friendliness in URLs than whether or not users can navigate to a URL. For example, there is auto-complete in browsers, especially for people revisiting pages and arbitrary numbers in URLs can confuse users.

My previous comment was for urls where you also have the ID as an
additional parameter, the autocomplete feature (at least in chrome and
firefox) works just fine with "http://blabla/post_id/post_name" or
"http://blabla/post_name". I though it was already implied...

> <soapbox>
> Saying "it's not important anymore" is just a convenience so that the site developer can happily ignore an issue that they would prefer to be unimportant. IMO anyway.
> </soapbox>
>
> -Mike

Alexander Concha
http://www.buayacorp.com