[wp-hackers] Permalink Structure - Performance vs. SEO

mickey panayiotakis mickey at infamia.com
Tue Jun 14 00:28:47 UTC 2011

IMO if the make-or-break point for your SEO strategy is a /date/ on the URL
,then you're using the wrong SEO strategist.

Claude, in my experience a "lot" depends on your db config (sorry couldn't
resist the pun).  It could be as few as 100s.  I had a site that was doing
something similar (no category slugs for archives).  At some point (low 100s
of pages/posts) the redirect table got so big that it
exceeded max_allowed_packet.  At that point, caching was about the only
thing that saved us since every page view would cost in excess of 2000
database requests (tried to rebuild the redirection table for every
request).

Cheers
mickey

--