[wp-hackers] Grandchild themes

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Wed Jun 8 13:52:30 UTC 2011

This may sound overly pedantic (I am, after all, a self-avowed pedant), but
I would use the term "Stand Alone Theme" rather than "Parent Theme" in this
context. Technically *Any* fully functional (i.e. "Stand Alone") Theme can
act as a "Parent", but a Stand Alone Theme only becomes a "Parent" Theme if
some other Theme claims it as its template.

In other words, I would say that, in the scenario you describe, a developer
is requested to convert a Child Theme into a Stand Alone Theme, rather than
being requested to convert a Child Theme into a Parent Theme.

...and I wish more developers would adopt your usage of the term
"Framework", to refer to code on which a Stand Alone Theme is developed, but
which itself does not constitute a Stand Alone Theme. But that's another
topic entirely. :)

Chip