[wp-hackers] Is there a reason wp_localize_scripts doesn't handle multi-dimensional arrays?

Nathaniel Taintor goldenapplesdesign at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 23:07:03 UTC 2011

I've been wondering for a while why wp_localize scripts handles json
encoding so awkwardly:

http://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/wp-includes/class.wp-scripts.php#L50

Since WP3.2 now requires PHP 5.2 or higher, could this be rewritten to use
json_encode, and thus allow localization of multi-dimensional arrays? Each
value could still be mapped through esc_js, if necessary.

I'd be happy to submit a patch for it, just wondered if there was a reason
it hadn't been done yet.

And, cheers to whoever added the "Source File" section on the Codex page for
wp_localize_scripts. You've made me laugh on more than one occasion when
I've looked up that page.

Best,
Nathaniel Taintor

Nathaniel Taintor, Designer/Developer