[wp-hackers] filter the_content without affecting the_excerpt

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Jul 19 22:26:50 UTC 2011

The purpose of wp_trim_excerpt is to create an artificial excerpt if
one doesn't exist for the post. So it applies the content filters to
the content, then trims it down to create the excerpt.If there is an
explicit excerpt on the post, then the content filters will not be
applied to that, nor will the content even get pulled.

So if you're adding something to the beginning of the content, then it
will be in the created excerpt. This is by design.

If you don't want it to do that, use a shortcode to insert your
content. Shortcodes get stripped from auto-created excerpts.

-Otto