[wp-hackers] Advice on providing plugin support

Callum Macdonald lists.automattic.com at callum-macdonald.com
Fri Jul 15 13:44:31 UTC 2011

Holamigos,

I provide support for a plugin I wrote. Currently I funnel the support
requests into a WordPress post on my blog, and ask people to post
comments with their requests.

I'm now up to about 1000 comments between a few posts. It works ok, but
there's no way to search the archive. So, I get the same questions over
and over. I'm working on expanding the FAQ, but people seem to miss it.

I also follow posts on the WordPress.org forum which are tagged with the
plugin. However, this suffers from the same problem, there's no way to
search the history.

Ideally, I'd like to force users to search before posting a new
question. When they type their question, I'd like that to be used to
auto search the history, and hopefully, present useful answers before
they submit. A little like GetSatisfaction for example.

Are you a plugin author? How do you provide support? Do you have any
recommendations? Does GetSatisfaction or another tool work for you?

Thank you in advance for any advice offered.

Love & joy - Callum.

==
Callum Macdonald

UK mobile: +44 7968 378 810