[wp-hackers] Term Meta - Trac'd already?

Mike Little wordpress at zed1.com
Wed Jul 13 21:45:57 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 19:43, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> What's your use case?
>
> Terms are labels which are attached to a taxonomy. A taxonomy is a
> system for grouping objects in some way. Meta information is attached
> to objects describing those objects. So, basically, because terms
> aren't objects, they therefore don't need meta information. They kind
> of *are* meta information, in that they label the groups of other
> objects.

I'm not going to get into any philosophical discussions but here are two use
case I am building right now.

1) For this project which is all about events for disabled people, I have a
taxonomy of access types. Access here meaning what kind of access an event
or venue provides for a disabled person.  The terms are 'British Sign
Language'. 'Captioned', 'Audio Described', etc. Each of those has a long
description which describes it in detail. The descriptions are stored as the
term descriptions. So far so good.
I also have a taxonomy of intended audience for the events. Mostly film
certificate style, e.g. 15, PG, 18, etc. But also 'Adults only', 'family
friendly', and then even longer terms like 'local residents only', etc. All
find so far.

However one display option for these events is a calendar listing. Where a
long list of access attributes is not practical -- many items will have
multiple access types each. So I added abbreviations using the taxonomy
metadata plugin  http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/taxonomy-metadata/ and
now the calendar listing is manageable, and more importantly, is not too
long and complex for disabled readers -- the intended audience.

Example 2. Really simple: I have a day-of-the-week taxonomy for another
project (radio shows). And quite simply I want to list them in the correct
order when someone searches for shows on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I
had to add a day number value using the same metadata plugin.

Finally, another example I've thought about several times, though not yet
used, and that is adding weighting to terms.  Even though they are in the
same taxonomy, some terms might carry more weight in search results.

Mike
--
Mike Little
http://zed1.com/