[wp-hackers] Term Meta - Trac'd already?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Jul 13 20:16:35 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 3:07 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
> I think that things tend to just work better when you fit them into
> this framework. If you start trying to treat everything as an object,
> you end up with nonsensical relationship methods. Treating a term as
> an object, for example, implies that you can put terms into taxonomies
> themselves. Grouping the labels of other groups. This rapidly becomes
> crazy and doesn't relate well to other parts of the system such as the
> template hierarchy and the query system.

BTW, with that said, it doesn't mean that you can't *do it anyway*.
The core code doesn't care what you put where. You can create
taxonomies of taxonomies and it'll happily do it for you. The code
itself has no relationship attached to the taxonomies.
register_taxonomy_for_object_type() doesn't care what the object type
is. wp_set_object_terms() doesn't care what type of terms you're
setting where. As long as you have an ID number that references some
"object", then it'll connect terms to that object just fine. Heck,
I've used it for the backbone of an email subscription system. Works
fine.

So you can certainly do it with the core functionality available to
you right now. It just rapidly gets complex and weird if you go that
route. IMO, of course.

-Otto