[wp-hackers] Hybrid WP mobile apps

scribu mail at scribu.net
Sat Jul 9 13:44:08 UTC 2011

Disclaimer: I haven't written a single line of code for any of the current
mobile apps.

On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Helen Hou-Sandi <helen.y.hou at gmail.com>wrote:

> Just some very humble thoughts/silly questions:
>
> - This should open mobile development up to a lot more people (yay!)

I hope so. :)

- Extensible screens for mobile sound awesome, but a little scary (bad code
> will always be bad code)

By extensible you mean via plugins?

> - Curious as to how multiple sites/domains would be managed centrally, from
> .com to hosted installs - log in for your bookmarks/added sites? Everyone
> makes a .com or .org account?

The way I see it, a hybrid app would still live entirely on your phone, so
nothing changes in this regard. (Eventually, we could have some code in WP
Core that would be leveraged by the native part of the hybrid app.)

- Would these mobile versions live in .org somewhere (probably not
> extensible then) or core? Maybe a plugin?

The code and development for the current apps (as well for hybrid apps) live
on .org. For example, see http://android.wordpress.org/ So, again, nothing
changes in this regard.

- If changes to mobile admin are made in core or even a plugin, maybe this
> is a feature that helps parallel and highlight the movement toward
> background/silent incremental updates

The goal is to have at least some common code between the apps and
eventually to have some common code with WP Core.

At first, the update schedule will also remain unchanged, i.e. each app has
it's own.

--
http://scribu.net