[wp-hackers] wordpress auto update

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Fri Jul 1 15:33:22 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 10:46 AM, Travis Northcutt <
travis at travisnorthcutt.com> wrote:

> I've got a hunch that this wouldn't be feasible/likely to happen in the
> near
> future, due to plugin compatibility issues. I agree that it would be nice,
> but there'd likely be quite an uproar ("you broke my site!!!1!!11!!"), even
> though the actual root of the problem would be bad/no longer developed
> plugins.

For updates, there are a few particular things I'd like to accomplish by the
end of 2011. Here's two:

One, my installation should email me when there is an update to core. It
should, in the process, let me know if there's any plugins or themes out of
date. This should target the admin email address.

Two, I'd like to release a plugin that, as a working proof of concept,
handles point release updates in the background, provided the site is
configured correctly.

Nacin