[wp-hackers] custom taxonomy list page?

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Mon Jan 31 12:07:00 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Joshua Sibelman
<joshua.sibelman at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Adding the slug explicitly as 'main-ingredient' did not work for me. It was
> one of the first things I tried. With or without that directive,
> '/main-ingredient/chicken' yielded results, where '/main-ingredient/' did
> not.
>
> If you have this working, I'd love to see a working example and how you did
> it.
>
> Thanks.

Those don't work in the same way that /category/ or /tag/ won't work either.
Taxonomy bases are invalid URLs.

Some have suggested WordPress support them. The problem is, that turns into
two different suggestions. On one side, some suggest that it should show a
archive of all objects that have a relationship with any term in that
taxonomy. On the other, some suggest it should be a list of all term, or
perhaps a term cloud.

The best solution is to leave it to custom implementation based on the use
case.

Cheers,
Nacin