[wp-hackers] Help with dbDelta

Chris Williams chris at clwill.com
Wed Jan 26 16:11:57 UTC 2011

In my experience dbdelta only really works to add fields/tables as you
have noted, but it does not support or handle field renames, type changes,
or eliminations.  To answer your questions, I think it is generally the
accepted method for table addition/update, but that custom update code is
required in cases outside that scenario.