[wp-hackers] XML-based display and spoofing multisite

William Davis will.davis at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 21:36:44 UTC 2011

I'm sorry I keep asking so many questions — if I'm annoying people
please let me know. I have two this time.

My first question is if it's possible and advisable to spoof a
multisite instance. The reason I'm asking is because caching plugins
don't really work well with mobile sites — you can have caching bypass
mobile devices, but then those devices aren't being served cached
pages and it doesn't really work that well anyway. So what I'm
thinking is to spoof a separate site — for example, m.example.com, and
use the same database as the main site but serve a different theme,
and that site would be cached as well.

The second question I have has to do with content delivery. I'm
intrigued by NPR's open API (http://www.npr.org/blogs/inside/2008/09/creating_the_npr_api_why_did_w.html
) and the diagram of how everything works (http://media.npr.org/images/api/architecture_diagram.jpg
). I'm curious if anyone has ever tried this approach with WordPress —
pretty much generating an xml file of everything in order to reduce
strain on the database. It would be great for organizations that want
to offer a robust API to others and/or have lots of delivery systems,
such as different versions of the site, mobile, tablet apps, etc. What
are everyone's thoughts on this sort of delivery system? I'm not
advocating WordPress should adopt it, but I'm sure a plugin could be
built to offer the functionality.

Will