[wp-hackers] bloginfo('template_directory'); returns parent theme's directory, is this intended?

Ryan Bilesky rbilesky at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 18:17:39 UTC 2011

I am wanting to make several tweaks to a theme for my use, and I've chose to
do so by making a child theme to be upgrade safe.  However I noticed that I
changed some colors around on my child themes css but I was not seeing the
change.  So I viewed source of my site and saw that it was using the parent
theme's css file.  In the header.php this was the code:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<?php
bloginfo('template_directory'); ?>/style.css" />
I fixed this by adding a modified version of header.php in my child themes
directory that has the css url hard coded.  So my question is this, is
bloginfo('template_directory'); supposed to return the parent theme or child
theme directory when called?