[wp-hackers] WP 3.1 admin bar

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Fri Feb 18 05:26:42 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 12:17 AM, Mark E <mark at simplercomputing.net> wrote:

> Thing is, a lot of people get super busy and loose track of dev cycles
> since they aren't involved in writing core code or patches, and a lot of
> people show up here who aren't aware that such other lists and IRC events
> exist.

Many developers would be well-served by giving a few hours to core each
week. You'd be much more informed when it comes to the codebase and you'd be
on the cutting edge of WordPress development.

I'm working on a handbook for contributing to WordPress core, to replace our
older Codex pages and other manuals. I'll be sure to send it to wp-hackers
when done and I really hope to see a lot of you on Trac.

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 12:18 AM, Philip M. Hofer (Frumph) <
philip at frumph.net> wrote:

> I was always under the impression that the Release Candidates were when
> testers can give feedback towards functionality which at that point their
> opinions can be heard.

No -- release candidates mean that we think we're done and that WordPress
will be released if no blocking issues are discovered.

Beta versions are when you can provide feedback. Ideally, this is when
initial testing should occur, not during the RC phase. But functionality
isn't going to be changed much even once we hit beta. Beta comes a few weeks
after feature freeze. If you want to give feedback toward functionality,
it'll have to be earlier in the cycle.

Nacin