[wp-hackers] WP 3.1 admin bar

Aaron D. Campbell aaron at xavisys.com
Thu Feb 17 22:57:15 UTC 2011

I know that Aaron Jorbin already responded to this, but I want to make
sure that it's clear this isn't a single person's point of view.  First,
you *can* help decide what happens in WordPress by joining the developer
chats and participating on TRAC.  If you don't take the time to do these
things then you shouldn't be disappointed when you're unspoken words
weren't heard.

That's not to say that there isn't a core group that has more
influence.  However, it's not Automattic that's the core group and it's
not a dictatorship.  They have simply earned a reputation and thus they
have more pull.  It's not a closed group, and if you want you could be a
part of it some day if you participate enough and show that you have the
necessary skills and discretion.

Additionally, WordPress is definitely NOT an Automattic product.  It is
completely open source and community driven.  Personally I've never
written a line of code for Automattic, but have plenty of patches in
WordPress.

As was said before, if you don't like a particular feature, the best
time to bring it up is while the feature is still an idea not after it's
gone through alpha, beta, and several RCs.