[wp-hackers] Making WordPress database independent

Brian Layman wp-hackers at thecodecave.com
Mon Feb 7 17:03:51 UTC 2011

On 2/7/2011 11:49 AM, Piyush Mishra wrote:
> With NoSQL picking up craze, postgre gaining popularity and WordPress moving
> towards being a complete CMS, its a move that we should make.
> Propel might be a good option, may be DAOs.
> But this option is good for progress of the CMS as a whole.
> I bet people will start discovering new areas for improvement within the
> core as they implement database abstraction.
Will they?  Admittedly anything that causes people to look at code again
can do that, but would it introduce any major improvements? Remember -
every feature that isn't supported in MySQL and all our "supported"
database engines would be excluded from use..  Heck, we can't even
generically use features that require MySQL 5.0 yet (assuming 3.1 hasn't
dropped before I hit send).

I'm really curious to see how having access to stored procedures,
triggers, views will affect the WordPress Core.  I wonder where that
rabbit trail will lead us.

--
Brian Layman
http://eHermitsInc.com