[wp-hackers] is it a good idea to remove the category base?

IC IC icwordpress at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 05:53:01 UTC 2011

I'm sorry for not making my question clear, though I do appreciate all
answers as far as the SEO aspect is concerned.

I was more on the performance side.

After reading Otto's article (
http://ottopress.com/2010/category-in-permalinks-considered-harmful/,
), I thought removing the categories will have some impact. Please
answer this question for a site that has about 200 cats and 100 pages
or so.

When the cat base is missing, how would WP will interpret the order?
Is that a page? or a cat? Isn't more work to do? Or was it going to
check all the cats anyway so it would not matter anyway...

IN the ASP world, request.queryString, request.cookies, request.post
etc.... are the recommended way of getting the user input. but asp
allows me to go request("firstname"). by default, it would first look
into the query string, so it is safe and there is no performance trade
offf, if I was interested getting the first name from a qs. but if the
firstname was being submitted via form post, then asp would have
wasted some cycles going thru request.querystring collection before it
seeks the variable in the form collection.

Since I'm new to WP, is there a similat issue here? if cats are
omitted from the base, would it ever matter at all as far as permalink
resolutions?