[wp-hackers] Wondering about this possible mod to core get_sidebar

Claude Needham gxxaxx at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 18:36:58 UTC 2011

Below is code I've been testing for a possible enhancement to the
get_sidebar core function.

Reason for mod: I wanted to pass in an array of declining alternatives
for the sidebar. This will take advantage of the power of
locate_template.

I'm pretty darn new to php, and very new to wordpress. Meaning, I
would not be surprised if there is a more bullet proof way to do this.

Even so, I wanted to run this idea by a few folks. To see if it is
worth trying to propose to the core guys.

Regards,
Claude Needham
p.s. A similar mod would be equally handy in get_footer

function get_sidebar( $name = null ) {
        do_action( 'get_sidebar', $name );

        $templates = array();
        if ( isset($name) ) {
                if (is_array($name)) {
                        foreach ( (array) $name as $disname ) {
                                if ( !$disname ) { continue; }
                                $templates[] = "sidebar-{$disname}.php";
                        }
                } else {
                        $templates[] = "sidebar-{$name}.php";
                }
        }

        $templates[] = 'sidebar.php';

        // Backward compat code will be removed in a future release
        if ('' == locate_template($templates, true))
                load_template( ABSPATH . WPINC . '/theme-compat/sidebar.php');
}