[wp-hackers] Make a function available to other plugins

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Wed Aug 10 11:18:36 UTC 2011

Put simply: No plugin should execute any logic upon being included.
The only real functions you should ever need to call are: add_action,
add_filter, and register_*_hook.

All code can usually be executed on the init hook, which is the
earliest you can expect WordPress (and plugins) to be loaded and ready
for action..
If you need to run code which is going to affect how WordPress loads,
the plugins_loaded hook can be useful.
If you need to run code which relies upon another plugins code running
first, and they're behaving themselves, running your code LATE on the
init hook should allow your plugin to run after the other plugin has
run.