[wp-hackers] Template Hierarchy In A Plugin

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Mon Aug 8 01:33:43 UTC 2011

I'd just like to point out, that allowing plugins to inject template
files into themes is not always going to work properly.. Why? Quite
simply because every theme out there is written with a different HTML
structure and styling/class names.
Try taking a page from the old Default theme and droping it into the
2011 folder, it's not going to work, Take a file designed for the 2011
theme and drop it into a Genesis theme, it's not going to work.
Take a file from a plugin and expect it to work in everyones themes..
it's not going to work..

What everyone "actually" needs (IMHO) is:
 * To modify the output of the_content() for their CPT or
 * To be able to add pages with shortcodes easier (ie. so that
/plugin-page/ is handled by their plugin)
Neither of those would really be achievable by letting a plugin inject
their document into the template hierarchy..