[wp-hackers] front-page.php always overrides home.php?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Sun Apr 24 16:53:37 UTC 2011

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 8:05 AM, Jeremy Clarke <jer at simianuprising.com> wrote:
> is_home should have been changed to is_posts or is_posts_index as soon as
> front_page was added

It's called backward compatibility. Home was redefined to mean the
blog posts page of the site.

Just because you don't like the naming system is not a good enough
reason to just break everything willy-nilly.

> That said I doubt you'd get much committer traction. The current situation
> is seen as workable because WP is popular despite it, and there is little
> love for purely semantic changes to core most of the time.

This is true. It's simpler to document a minor naming weirdness than
it is to *break everything else in the world*.

As GLaDOS recently reminded us, the ideal solution to a problem is
usually the easiest one.

-Otto