[wp-hackers] Multisite Remote Database

Mike Little wordpress at zed1.com
Tue Apr 12 12:38:41 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 10:32, Andy Charrington
<andycharrington at gmail.com>wrote:

> I was worried about that.... I figured the lack of info online meant
> multisite with remote db just isnt possible... Thats a real shame.

I think your problem is not multisite with a remote db, but one installation
of wordpress using the data of another installation.
But see below.

> What do others do for a test (by this i actually mean an environment i can
> both develop and test on) environment? I would prefer to do it locally of
> course but multisite wont work on localhost... Any ideas greatly
> appreciated!

Just modify your hosts file. Add a line like
127.0.0.1 myfakedomain.com sub2.myfakedomain.com sub3.myfakedomain.com sub4,
myfakedomain.com

and you can set up multisite and even play with subdomains (it'll complain
about not being able to access randomchars.myfakedomain.com, but will let
you carry on).

Mike
--
Mike Little