[wp-hackers] [GSoC] Language Packs

Stas Sușcov stas at nerd.ro
Tue Apr 5 09:11:08 UTC 2011

În data de Lu, 04-04-2011 la 21:37 +0200, Marko Novaković a scris:
> Dear Paolo,
>
> I will consider the support for multi-language plugins, after testing this
> plugin http://wpml.org/
> This task I scheduled for July 11th – August 7th and I will define it in
> documentation soon.

Sorry to say this, but it looks like you didn't get in details what
exactly GlotPress does.

You should exclude features like:
* ability to translate (for that, GlotPress exists)
* submit it to GlotPress (the "bridge" should take care of that, not the
end user, other-way people will simply spam GlotPress like in the case
of translate.wordpress.com)
* required authentication on GlotPress (GlotPress public api doesn't
need an account, same for .mo file download)

If I were you, my job/scope would be simple:
Like for updates, add the same notifications and upgrade tools to
core(fork localize)/plugins/themes translation files.

Consider following workflows:
* a new plugin/theme is installed -> ask end-user to download it's
language file if it's not en_US already
* a new plugin/theme update is available -> ask end-user if he wants to
add/update the translation too
* a new plugin/theme was submitted into plugin directory -> add a rating
system (widget) where people can vote to get that plugin included on
GlotPress so people can contribute translations, or send the feedback
directly to the developer to ask for his plugin to get imported (on the
other side, a checkbox when requesting plugin repo can be available that
will say "please add it to GlotPress too")

All the translations should be delivered using GlotPress api and
it's .mo files.

All the work that has to be done for/using available open sourced code
(GlotPress, WordPress core, localize) should be your job, the rest
is .org's team duty.

Talk to @nacin (if he's still in for mentoring this project) during a
gsoc irc meetup, ask him about stuff you/I didn't know.

About timeline:
Delete this stuff - "Setup the revision control system, designing forms
on the option page and projecting classes and UML diagrams." No one
cares about diagrams here, put more time into learning GlotPress
codebase better. SVN will be available asap the new gsoc-ers are
announced, it's not something you will have to care about.

Make sure this - "Synchronization two projects, support for
multi-language plugins, testing and making some enhancements." is done
before midterm, no one's going to wait for 2 months until you will
deliver some working code (though this was already mentioned here).

Good luck and sorry If I sound a bit rude, but you should really take it
more seriously!