[wp-hackers] Will Activation Hook Be Executed During Plugin Upgradation?

scribu scribu at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 20:36:51 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 11:28 PM, Andrew Nacin <wp at andrewnacin.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 4:25 PM, Ozh <ozh at ozh.org> wrote:
>
> > Never payed attention to it before, but is there a semantic/usage
> > difference between "update" and "upgrade" in WP? "Update a plugin" vs
> > "Upgrade core"?
>

> We're gravitating toward the term "update" everywhere.

That might be a good idea for the UI, since it sounds lighter, but I think
functions should continue to use 'upgrade'.

'update' is part of the CRUD family, so it's perfect for update_option()
etc.

'upgrade' has a direction and therefore an opposite: 'downgrade' so it's
more descriptive.

So, my revised proposal:
register_upgrade_hook()<http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/14912>,
which internally would call do_action(), like Dougal suggested. Theme
activation hooks are another can of worms.

--
http://scribu.net