[wp-hackers] Site Address during development

Mike Little wordpress at zed1.com
Fri Sep 3 09:56:44 UTC 2010

On 3 September 2010 10:35, Gavin Pearce <Gavin.Pearce at 3seven9.com> wrote:

Gav,
Very sorry for attributing that to you, I was viewing both your reply  and
ErisDs at the same time when I pressed reply.

> We all understand that RSS needs absolute URLs, but surely WordPress
> core could use the wp-config.php or admin area settings when building
> the URL within feeds, or anywhere an absolute URL is needed?
>
> Yes, adds to overheads, but only very, very, very nominally.

The problem with any perceived problem like this, is that a very small
minority of WordPress users have this problem (i.e. moving sites), and are,
in this case,  knowledgeable enough to overcome the problem.

Most WordPress users (11 million plus) do not move their sites, but *do*
have their sites read through feed readers, aggregated on other sites, and
their podcasts listened to in iTunes.

So although the vocal developers on this list can see a need, in fact their
use case for the problem is
a) a very tiny minority, and
b) only occurs once when a site is moved. All other times it is fine the way
it works now.

Mike
--
Mike Little