[wp-hackers] Site Address during development

ErisDS erisds at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 08:52:51 UTC 2010

I guess what's kinda irritating about this, is the "why", rather than the
"how to solve".
It just doesn't make sense why absolute URLs are embedded everywhere.

GUID should be a UUID, not contain the URL, and the paths in content should
be relative by default. There doesn't seem to be a good reason why this
hasn't been resolved. I guess that's my niggle!

I always work with a local dev, staging,  and production servers so I run
into the every time I do a WordPress project.

I have a script I add to every WP project, which I can run each time I push
changes to a different server. It's very basic but it works.
At the end of the day, the script is written now and it takes me an
additional 30 seconds to run it each time I push, considering all the GREAT
things WP offers, this is hardly a deal breaker!

Also, Christopher Bralien's solution for stopping absolute URLs being saved
sounds really useful as a prevention rather than a cure.

It would be rather nice if some updates could be made to solve this once and
for all though!