[wp-hackers] Deployment process (was Exporting Menus)

ken zarque kenzaraque at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 16:39:01 UTC 2010

Thank you for giving us the run down of the Boston U WP infrastructure.  I
enjoyed the read.

The idea of having production and staging sharing the same database and base
code didn't cross my mind. that would make "deployment" a lot easier.  I'm
using WP 3.0+ , so what you described is essentially a single MS
installation which houses both staging and production?

for production debugging purposes, let's say a bug that's taking a while to
fix, do you always clone it back to the test environment?  or do you simply
clone a copy in stage (same DB same, code base )?

As far as production sharing the same code base and DB. If major changes are
happening in staging, doesn't that expose production sites to dangers of
breaking because of what someone did in stage?

You probably have all this figured out, but wanted to see what measures you
took to maintain production stability.

Regards,

Ken