[wp-hackers] GUID problem

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Thu Sep 2 01:45:41 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 9:26 PM, Mike Schinkel
<mikeschinkel at newclarity.net>wrote:

> On Sep 1, 2010, at 9:14 PM, Lynne Pope wrote:
> > But, as it is, a developer has used them for his shortlinks and I
> > am just tasked with the job of cleaning up the database.
>
> I'm confused. How cane some use WordPress's GUID for *short* links; aren't
> WordPress' GUIDs rather long?

Since 2.5, we've used the non-pretty URL for the GUID, i.e.
http://example.com/?p=1. (This is the same as a default WP shortlink in
3.0.) Some who look at the database schema see a link and feel they can use
$post->post_guid instead of get_permalink(). It looks like a URL, but it's
not.. Anyway, there's been proposals to use UUID (something we should
consider). I've re-opened the related Trac ticket that proposed UUID now
that our MySQL minimum is high enough.