[wp-hackers] Deployment process (was Exporting Menus)

Vid Luther vid at zippykid.com
Wed Sep 1 11:16:16 UTC 2010

Here's my $0.02 on the deployment process we're using..
On Aug 31, 2010, at 11:31 PM, Andrew Nacin wrote:

> We all have our own processes for production deployments. It depends on the
> site, the client, the need, and of course our own preferences and tricks
> we've picked up. My process works well for me in almost every case, but that
> doesn't mean it'll work for you. (In a nutshell, I prefer to map the
> production domain to a local or remote sandbox. It's also how
> wordpress.orgis configured.) Again, how much of this depends on the
> developer's (or
> developers') own workflow?

I've been working on this solution using Ruby/Capistrano, my project is on Github (http://github.com/vluther/Autopress) my workflow is not perfect, but it's getting closer to how
I want it, I'd love it if people can help more.

1. cd to bootstrapPress (just a pristine clone of the github repo)
2. copy the comitted vmware.rb capistrano stage file in config/deploy/clientnametest.rb , make appropriate changes..
3. cap clientnamestest.rb deploy:setup, this does the following..

	- ssh to localhost ,
	- make web directory for client, do a git clone
	- creates a mysql user with proper permissions for specific database
	- creates specified database
	- loads a default sql file from the git clone (un comitted versions have support for specifying a specific sql dump file)
	- creates autopress.php , which is called very early in wp-config.php
		- autopress.php has SITENAME, BLOGNAME, WP_USER, etc defined..
		- creates all the secret keys/salts  from http://api.wordpress.org/secret-key/1.1/salt/
    - changes password of default admin user in the sql file we loaded (as specified in the stage file)
    - uncomitted versions will even change the default admin username.

It's not the perfect solution, but it's working for us, I've deployed over 40 websites using this methodology
since I started the project.

I'm experimenting with the roles attribute in capistrano, where if it works the way I want it to, I could change my deployment
steps to be something like

	- cap clientname deploy:stage
	- cap clientname deploy:production
	- cap clientname sync:stage (would sync production back to stage)
	- cap clientname sync:production (would sync production from stage) (I'm not in a rush to automate this anytime soon :)).

I'm trying to find other people who are doing something similar, or have better methods that I could incorporate, I picked Capistrano/Ruby for this
as it's a very mature environment compared to Phing, plus people don't need to sacrifice anything to get PHP + SSH working on OS X :).

And, I wanted to learn Ruby, but not Rails :)