[wp-hackers] Bundled Plug-ins

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Sat Oct 2 18:30:18 UTC 2010

On Oct 2, 2010, at 10:05 AM, Eric Mann wrote:
> I love the idea of distributing Akismet with WordPress.  It's a vital plugin
> to any successful blog and a great idea to have that functionality bundled
> yet optional.  However . the fact that Akismet is maintained separately from
> WP can be a little problematic.  Specifically, a fresh download and install
> of WP about 5 minutes ago contains an outdated copy of Akismet.  Installing
> a brand new "up-to-date" copy of software and immediately being told there's
> an update available conjurs up flashbacks of the endless
> update-reboot-update-reboot cycle that drives many people away from
> Microsoft Windows.
>
> So what can we do to maintain the elegance of bundled plugins without
> running the risk of notifying users of new updates less than 5 minutes after
> they open a new package?

On related note, but unrelated to the direction of the discussion that followed, I have been noticing how deactivated plugins still tell the user there is an update and "nag" them to update. Lots of people, myself included, download plugins to try but then either don't have time at that moment to evaluate and/or they deactivate them with plans to look at them in the future. However I'm sure like most I want to make those notices go away and thus that means if I leave lots of deactivate plugins on my system then I'm constantly being asked to update.

I'm assuming the issue is that any code on the server could have a security hole, deactivated or not, so it's critical that we get all code updated in case of a security hole, right? But could there not be a third way? How about an "archive" feature that allowed a user to archive a plugin which would either zip its contents and/or set the permissions on its directory/files so that it's not accessible externally (if that's even possible; my knowledge of how server permissions work is rather lacking.)

I think these constant "update me" notices are yet another reason why people don't want to use any more plugins than they have to even though the constant refrain related to features is "that's plugin territory." (I think what I'm saying here is that by improving the management of plugins it might help people who have issues with plugins dislike them less.)

-Mike