[wp-hackers] WP Development & Production Sites

Jeremy Clarke jer at simianuprising.com
Mon Nov 29 17:46:33 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 12:39 PM, William Davis <will.davis at gmail.com>wrote:

> This is pretty much my new favorite thing ever, but do you know how it's
> affected by multisite?

I'm pretty sure it's mostly useless on multisite. When working with MU I
found that there really was no way to sync the databases without manually
manipulating a ton of fields in the DB.

When working in that situation I would recommend figuring out the SQL and
setting up a script for yourself that you can copy into your DB-manager of
choice (i.e. PHPMyAdmin on the server or Sequel Pro on OSX) and run against
the dev DB after importing a dump of the live site. It's not at all an ideal
solution, and if you're working with Multi-Site you have a lot more reasons
to try the hosts file method discussed above.

One trick to simplify the SQL method is to only manipulate the wp_options
for sites you actually plan to test, so if you have many similar sites in a
MS install your SQL only needs to modify a few exemplary ones you will test
against.

--
Jeremy Clarke • http://jeremyclarke.org
Code and Design • http://globalvoicesonline.org