[wp-hackers] Grouping uploaded media items and bulk ( programmatic ) upload method perhaps

scribu mail at scribu.net
Tue Nov 23 16:07:38 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Haluk Karamete <halukkaramete at gmail.com>wrote:

> Obvioulsy, we do not want to re-upload those images one by one using
> wp admin route. Any road map ideas? That's challenge #1.

You can use this plugin:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/add-from-server/

And challenge #2, as far as I see, I cannot group/categorize those
> images. images can only be tagged, there is no way on media
> upload/gallery sections in the admin interface to see the existing
> groups/categories that those uploaded fiels are in. Am I correct? Is
> this how it is with WordPress? I appreciate it if you toss some tips
> in dealing with this.

You can register a custom taxonomy for attachments, and I think there is a
filter for displaying the terms in the single attachment editor screen.
Also, on the list screen, you can register a custom column.

See
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/attachment/ticket/14579/test-list-tables.php