[wp-hackers] WordPress self install on Windows?

Hal Burgiss hal at burgiss.net
Sat Nov 13 16:52:54 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Danny G Smith <dgs at riskiii.com> wrote:

> If you did have to go with windows, would you go with something like zend
> server where you would have a real php stack with apache mysql and php3?

There is "real" apache, php and mysql binaries for windows as well, w/o zend
server. I am in a small web devel shop and we use the XAMPP approach (Apache
2.2 and php5.2) for those that feel they have to have windows. We had some
nuisance issues with php5.3 so backed  down to 5.2. We've also done Windows
host + Linux virtualbox, and vice versa. All that seems to work well enough.
The only issue we've had is permissions related when sharing a ntfs drive in
a vbox set up (everything winds up 0777 which drives me bonkers).

In our set up, we use a remote mysql server, so that does not run locally
for us. But Apache + php do. Everybody runs their own repo code checkout
too, so nobody steps on anyone else's toes.

We have not really hit the skype issue mentioned by someone else.

--
Hal