[wp-hackers] WordPress self install on Windows?

Brian Layman bulk at thecodecave.com
Sat Nov 13 16:35:25 UTC 2010

On 11/13/2010 11:17 AM, Danny G Smith wrote:
> I have not been able to find much information one way or the other, that is other than opinions. Windows is not my choice, but I am being pressured to justify my position. Does anyone know if you are forced to use IIS?
No, not by any means.. I've played with doing WordPress on IIS just for
fun and quickly decided my definition of "fun" was way off base.

There are several alternatives that can get you running a site on Apache
with WordPress well within 20 minutes on your Windows machine.  Here are
two popular installation packages:

XAMPP : http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html
WAMP : http://www.wampserver.com/en/
(For mac there is also http://www.mamp.info/ )

I've always used XAMPP and run it on all my PCs for local testing of
sites (& doing dev work while on planes w/ no wifi). One word of warning
for running this on PCs: Skype by default grabs port 80 and won't let
Apache launch when open unless you change that setting.

There are contributors who run on IIS as tickets come through and get
fixed, but it is a vast minority. Perhaps someone else can give you a
better number...

*Brian Layman *

Founder and Developer
*eHermitsInc.* <mailto:brian at ehermitsInc.com>com
twitter: @brianlayman