[wp-hackers] Network activations and WP SlimStat

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Nov 9 02:27:50 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 8:18 PM, Dino Termini <dino at duechiacchiere.it> wrote:
> Okay, maybe that was a little exaggerated, but even with 100,000 records,
> what's the difference bw 100 tables holding 100k records and one storing
> 10M? It 'scales' just because it doesn't create new tables, but other than
> that it's the same thing space-wise. Unless you core developers are saying
> that adding new tables is deprecated and should never be done.

Using new tables makes it almost impossible for people using multisite
configs to use your plugin properly. It's an epic pain in the ass to
upgrade, basically. Even installing it takes bloody forever.

You're thinking that it's no big deal to make new tables for 100
sites. You're thinking too small. When I think of "large" multisite
sites, I'm thinking 100k+ blogs on them, using multiple SQL servers.

It is best to avoid using new tables for anything, ever, if you want
multisite people to be able to use your plugin. I have maybe 10 sites
on my config, and I'd instantly reject your plugin out  of hand
because it creates new tables, period.

> So you would do a JOIN bw two tables, one with 100k records and one with
> 150k, for EACH metric included in WP? Interesting...

No, I wouldn't store the unchanging data in the database in the first
place. If it doesn't change, it doesn't need to be in the database.

-Otto