[wp-hackers] plugin installs failing: "Could not create directory. /wp-content"

Scott R. Godin scottg.wp-hackers at mhg2.com
Mon Nov 8 17:11:59 UTC 2010

According to the documentation at
	http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_File_Permissions

"NOTE: For the Automatic Upgrade/Install of Plugins/Themes and WordPress
Upgrades, No special permissions need to be set. All WordPress files
should remain owned by your user account (the user account the httpd
runs as), You should NOT have to make them world writable(777). If you
attempt to change the ownership/permissions of files in order to allow
the upgrader to work, There is a high chance of bugs/issues poping up
related to the incorrect permission scheme chosen."

I've set up a specific ftp/sftp user for this directory, and am using
the correct password for it. It should 'just work' and the odd thing is,
it WAS working correctly earlier, and nothing on the server should have
been changed between the earlier plugin installs and now.

The files in the account all have user.group being the same: i.e. saying
accountname is foo then an ls -l looks like
	drwxr-xr-x   6 foo foo  4096 Nov  4 13:46 wp-content/
so I don't believe 775 will work and I'm obviously loathe to try 777 for
those directories. (wp-content/uploads/ IS 777 though)

Possible it could be anything else?