[wp-hackers] plugin installs failing: "Could not create directory. /wp-content"

Scott R. Godin scottg.wp-hackers at mhg2.com
Mon Nov 8 16:19:14 UTC 2010

Howdy plugin gurus,

This just recently started happening, with both
http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/qoate-simple-code-snippets.zip
and
http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/syntax-highlighter-compress.zip

both of which refused to install (tho I do not think it's directly
related to either of these plugins, myself) either via the interface or
manual upload to the interface, resulting in :

	Downloading install package from
http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/qoate-simple-code-snippets.zip…

	Unpacking the package…

	Could not create directory. /wp-content

	Actions: Return to Plugin Installer

(of course if I simply unzip the folder and manually ftp/rsync it to the
server it works fine)

I tried disabling every other active plugin and retrying the install
(earlier installs worked just fine) but the result is the same. What
could have changed to cause this, and how do I fix it?

--
(please respond to the list as opposed to my email box directly,
unless you are supplying private information you don't want public