[wp-hackers] PCI Compliance and Wordpress 2.9.2

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Wed May 19 19:52:53 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Katrina Tustin <Katrina at jstreettech.com>wrote:

> I am hoping that someone can help us.  We have an e-commerce site as well
> as a WordPress blog.  We have been unsuccessful in passing PCI compliance
> due to a security issue with the blog.  This is the error that is received
> from Security Metrics.  We are running 2.9.2.  Any help would be
> appreciated.
>
> Synopsis : The remote web server contains a PHP application that is
> affected by an information disclosure issue. Description : The version of
> WordPress on the remote host does not properly check for administrative
> credentials in the 'is_admin()' function in 'wp-includes/query.php'. Using a
> specially-crafted URL that contains the string 'wp-admin/', an attacker may
> be able to leverage this issue to view posts for which the status is
> classified as 'future', 'draft', or 'pending', which would otherwise be
> available only to authenticated users. See also :
> http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/4 85160/30/0/threaded<
> http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/485160/30/0/threaded>
> http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5487 Solution: Unknown at this time. Risk
> Factor: Medium  / CVSS Base Score : 4.3 (CVSS2#AV:N/AC:M/Au:N/C:P/I:N/A:N)
> BID : 26885 Other references : OSVDB:39518, Secunia:28130 [More]

Hi Katrina,

The code cited in the vulnerability report is more than two years old and
was changed in 2.3.2. is_admin() has nothing to do with administrative
credentials, only whether we're in the administrative area. It is set by a
constant defined in the admin.php bootstrap and no longer relies on the URL.

The warning is thus outdated for any WordPress versions released since
January 2008.