[wp-hackers] Twitter API and Authentication

John Bloch jbloch at olympianetworks.com
Wed May 12 04:53:24 UTC 2010

Huh. I got this from twitter tonight:

Hi John,

Thank you for writing in. First, please note that xAuth is dependent upon
> OAuth and cannot be used without registering an application anyways. If your
> goal is for each user to be able to be able have a source parameter similar
> to "from web" or "from API" for their WordPress site, then each user will
> have to register their own application whether it is authorized via OAuth or
> xAuth. If this is not an issue, your application should be able to authorize
> multiple users and manage their access tokens just fine with one OAuth
> registration.

> Also of note, website-based applications will not be given access to xAuth
> and must use the normal OAuth workflow instead. I apologize for the
> inconvenience. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Hope that helps,

Brian

It looks like we can use oAuth for our one application. Say I registered a
plugin called "My TweetPress" as a twitter application, I could release the
plugin and use the plugin to do all the oAuth work on the one application
for all users. Then all tweets from anybody using "My TweetPress" would say
'posted from My TweetPress'. Now, of course, for security reasons, all oAuth
authorizations would have to go through a third server housing the
application's information, so that I didn't have to publicly release the
application's private key. But that seems like it would result in a fairly
straightforward and user friendly way get twitter integrated (for the user.
We're going to suffer).

John P. Bloch