[wp-hackers] Proposal: StackOverflow for WordPress

Doug Stewart zamoose at gmail.com
Wed May 12 02:45:01 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Peter Westwood
<peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk>wrote:

> Personally I would rather make our support forums better if they are
> missing things so as to give people on central place for all things
> WordPress.

You and several others have proposed this route. What method[s] do you
propose for making the forums better?

> We already have a team of volunteers who moderate that forum very well.

Moderation is different than curation. Moderators are easily overwhelmed.
Moderators are single points of failure. Moderators can be prone to fits of
pique.

> I also don't see why WordPress questions need a separate Stack Exchange
> site when they can already be asked on the main Stack Overflow site.

Because SO has many, _many_ other questions being asked constantly and
therefore it's a more obtuse experience if all you're looking for is info
about WordPress.. Additionally, the main StackOverflow site is focused on
programming. What about all of the other facets to WP that need coverage --
theming, hosting, best practices, etc.?

--
-Doug
@zamoose