[wp-hackers] GSoC 2010: Visual CSS Editor

Jeremy Clarke jer at simianuprising.com
Wed Mar 31 18:54:08 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Jane Wells <jane at automattic.com> wrote:
> Wasn't that just for MU (soon to be multisite)? Since Automattic will
> continue to update that plugin based on the wordpress.com feature, I don't
> think they should be combined.

I actually haven't used that particular plugin but have found that
"custom css" as a feature (I had already created a simple tool to
accomplish it internally before the plugin came out) can often be
useful for any WP site, even individual ones. A plugin like that
effectively removes the need to create a child theme if all you wanted
to do was edit the CSS. It's also an excellent place for temporary CSS
that you don't want to put in the long term stylesheet (which might be
on a CDN etc.)

I didn't think through the idea of putting this stuff in the wp.com
plugin deeply before suggesting it, and there might be other good
reasons not to merge these things together, but I don't think the
MU/MS/single-site distinction is a reason either way.

Also: If this is completed the CSS editing features should apply to
that plugin somehow, so either way compatibility is ideal.

--
Jeremy Clarke
Code and Design | globalvoicesonline.org