[wp-hackers] User roles - GSOC proposal

Eric Mann eric at eamann.com
Wed Mar 31 17:19:30 UTC 2010

The idea of having one preconfigured "role" as an all-access administrator
and then assigning capabilities on a per-user basis is, in my opinion, what
would work best in the majority of cases.  The sites I've worked on in the
past fit one of two types:

1 - Blogs which allow comments but not registration.  There is one author
(with unlimited access) and all other "users" are unauthenticated commentors
that are identified by their email address.  They don't even appear in the
user system.

2 - CMS-type sites that allow limited registration but no comments (think
front-end website and back-end pseudo-intranet).  There is one superadmin
and every individual has a different role with custom capabilities ... none
of the pre-defined "subscriber" "contributor" etc roles make sense in this
case and end up being deleted in favor of "intern" "project manager" etc.

The outside case is where people use user roles to identify affiliate sales.
My RegLevel plugin allows for custom user roles to be assigned from
different registration pages, and people use this to create "roles" like
"Sales from Frank" that are identical to "subscriber" merely as a way to
segregate new users and better track sales.

In reality, though, "roles" don't have much meaning when you are talking
about a platform that powers both blogs and CMS.  What we're talking about
is a way to easily apply capabilities on registration ... so perhaps 1
pre-configured "role" for the super administrator.  Then rather than asking
which "role" to assign to new registrations, allow the user to specific
which capabilities to assign to new registrations.  You'd still have the
same end effect.