[wp-hackers] GSOC - widget repository

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Mon Mar 29 20:40:37 UTC 2010

That really makes me think....  If users can find widgets by looking for plugins with tags of "has-a-widget" or similar, why not for Shortcodes?  Custom post  types? Custom post statuses? Importers?  Metaboxes? Custom taxonomies?

I'm not arguing reductio ad absurdum against letting users select widgets in the UI, I actually think it's a brilliant idea. But I think there are many other functionalities that would, in their appropriate context, be great for users to search for a related plugin.  Essentially almost any plugin that "registers" something would apply and possibly even those that support specific hooks.

So I'm suggesting that you view this concept to be larger than widgets. Yes, the initial UI could be only for widgets but it could also be implemented in a way that it would easily be reused for all the other features a plugin could add.

-Mike