[wp-hackers] GSOC - widget repository

Jane Wells jane at automattic.com
Mon Mar 29 16:09:26 UTC 2010

> From: Eitan Adler <eitanadlerlist at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [wp-hackers] GSOC - widget repository
> Alright - so it is between either this proposal or the comment
> moderation idea. Am I allowed to post multiple proposals?
Hi Ethan. Yes, you can submit multiple proposals. If it's just two,
that is fine. If a students floods us with proposals it's less
desirable, but two is good.

> From: Jeff Chandler <jeffc at wptavern.com>
> Subject: Re: [wp-hackers] GSOC - widget repository
> Interesting idea once Jane laid out the details of it in action.
> However, we've been discussing this idea further on the forum
> http://www.wptavern.com/forum/plugins-hacks/1439-separate-repository-widgets.html
> and one of the most interesting questions regarding this entire idea
> is
> trying to figure out what the difference is between a Widget and a
> Plugin considering it's really a large gray area. I encourage the
> person
> who submitted the idea to check out this forum thread and maybe
> chime in
> with their thoughts.
While obviously any student is free to write about their ideas
anywhere they like on the web, it is very important to clarify that
wptavern is NOT an official WordPress.org site, and will not be
referenced during the decision-making process. Students are meant to
discuss their proposals here on the hackers list and in IRC with core
contributors. We've just set up a new IRC channel so that students
don't feel intimidated by interrupting 3.0 dev chatter in #wordpress-
dev. Students can use the #wordpress-gsoc channel at irc.freenode.net
to discuss proposals with any community member. We'll have three
scheduled chats in there during the application period to give
students a chance to talk directly with mentors:
Wednesday, March March 31 at 20:30 UTC (4:30pm eastern)
Saturday, April 3 at 21:30 UTC (5:30pm eastern)
Wednesday, April 7 at 20:30 UTC (4:30pm eastern)

Jane