[wp-hackers] GSOC - widget repository

Eitan Adler eitanadlerlist at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 12:13:21 UTC 2010

I am interested in working on a widget repository for wordpress.

Project Description
Description from webpage:
Currently we have a handful of widgets in WordPress core, with other
widgets available via plugin. In some cases, this means a lot of
plugins just to add widgets to sidebars. Project idea: Create a widget
repository on WordPress.org, and introduce a widget search/install
feature tied to this repository in the admin tool (similar to plugins
and themes).

At the link http://codex.wordpress.org/GSoC_2010_Application_Template
it says to "Sharing the project idea on the wp-hackers  mailing list
in advance of your application is a good idea; if you have done so,
summarize the list response to your project idea/approach. "

I have a few questions about this project:
1) Since this is something I found at
http://codex.wordpress.org/GSoC2010#Widgets I'm assuming that this is
something that is desired by the wordpress community. However when
searching the mailing list archives I was unable to find specific
details about how the widgets repository would differ from the plugins
repository - if at all.
I'm looking for any details that would help me complete my GSOC application
2) The page where the project listed doesn't have any mentor listed.
The page with the mentors doesn't have anyone specific for this
project - who would be my mentor?