[wp-hackers] RFE: "more" to open in new window

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Mar 24 15:53:04 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 9:09 PM, Stephen Rider
<wp-hackers at striderweb.com> wrote:
> I would think this could be changed in the theme.  If not, you could use a simple plugin to insert a JavaScript that does it.
>
> That being said, I would strongly recommend against it.  As others have said, opening links in new windows is not best practice -- it confuses non-geeks and irritates geeks.  Lose/Lose.

Agreed. I have a plugin for Firefox specifically to disable this sort
of bad programming practice. No link ever opens in a new window or tab
for me, unless I choose to do so.

Anybody who makes their links open in new windows is doing it wrong.
This is 2010, not 1999.

Also, it's Considered Harmful: http://annevankesteren.nl/2004/09/new-window :)

-Otto