[wp-hackers] Menu schema

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Fri Mar 19 01:30:12 UTC 2010

> If I do write the code to change that, why won't it make it into 3.0?

It'll improve things in the long run.

Not necessarily -- it won't make it into 3.0 because the core developers
have discussed the schema at length and find the current implementation the
best option. We use more fields in the posts table than you think --
including post_author, menu_order, post_parent, post_excerpt, post_content
and post_title. And we store additional data in post meta. Part of this is
because we allow for menu item names other than the name of the category or
title of the page. We also allow title attributes, descriptions (for when
the theme supports it), XFN, custom CSS classes, link target, URL (for a
custom link), etc. Therefore, we used post types and post metadata for menu
items.