[wp-hackers] Best functions in WP for bulk MySQL processing?

Jeremy Clarke jer at simianuprising.com
Mon Mar 15 18:37:31 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 7:26 AM, Mike Schinkel
<mikeschinkel at newclarity.net>wrote:

> I guess another way would be page through the database and load ~100
> records at a time...

That's what I was going to recommend. The most sensible thing to me would be
to figure out the range you need to modify then from one page load a series
of AJAX calls to your script that do whatever number of records is possible
on each load. I'm working on a system that will do this to convert a
translations database into a new format but haven't gotten to the actual
AJAX part yet. In my case it will be easier because i'll have a whole new DB
of records to compare to the old one, whereas in your case you'll have to
manage the already-converted list somehow.

If anyone has any tips on tricky parts of wordpress to use in a segmented
ajax process they'd be very welcome. So far my plan is to figure out how to
use the admin ajax system and work from there. I guess I should take a look
at how MU does the site updates too.

--
Jeremy Clarke | http://jeremyclarke.org
Code and Design | http://globalvoicesonline.org