[wp-hackers] Custom taxonomies for authors

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Sat Mar 13 07:33:01 UTC 2010

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 20:13:39 +1200, Mike Schinkel
<mikeschinkel at newclarity.net> wrote:
> On Mar 13, 2010, at 1:57 AM, Dion Hulse (dd32) wrote:
>> Personally i don't think creating it as a post taxonomy is what is
>> needed here.
>>
>> Thomas, I think the taxonomy way you are going about is the best method.
>> As you can see, The taxonomy data is not shown to you however, since
>> WordPress doesnt handle taxonomies being applied to users.
>>
>> You can visit /wp-admin/edit-tags.php?taxonomy=color directly and
>> you'll be able to manage the Colours there.
>>
>> You'll need to manually add a dropdown selection to the user edit page
>> however based off that taxonomy data, you'd probably have to hook into
>> 'show_user_profile' & 'edit_user_profile' to add a new Table and table
>> row, as well as saving that data manually through the action which
>> fires when user data is updated...
>
> At this risk of inciting a backlash, doesn't this give one good use-case
> (and I have many others of my own) why it would be a good idea to have
> users (and commenters) as a standard "person" post type, at least via a
> canonical plugin if not in core?

I dont quite get that, In reality, Users are a first class object, same as
post_types (Which have children of posts, pages, attachments, revisions,
etc), same as comments..
What benefit would making users a post_Type (Even if as a linked object)?

The only thing i would agree with, Is that Taxonomy UI's should be applied
to user management pages (when the tax is registered for 'users' of
course)..

Dion Hulse / dd32

Contact:
  e: contact at dd32.id.au